Friday, May 20, 2011

Chaplaincy Studies


MASTER OF CHAPLAINCY STUDIES LESSON 10
Being a public school teacher by profession, I am very aware of the sensitive issue surrounding appropriate touching.  I know that touch can be a very healing thing and I also know that when it is perceived to be inappropriate, it can be very damaging.  For me, I think it is very appropriate to extend a hand shake and also pat the shoulder.  I feel you really need to have a good "read" on the person and his or her body language.  I have no problem putting my arm around a person so show support or compassion, but again, I am careful to make sure the person is open and comfortable with this type of touch. A frontal hug is probably not the best thing to do; however, if the other person initiates it, I have no problem.  I do like for someone to be in view of hugs just to make sure I have a witness that it is done in an appropriate manner.  It's sad that a genuine and non threatening show of compassion has to be under guard, but then again, we may not fully understand where a person is coming from as far as inappropriate touches he or she has received in the past that may have scarred them.  We have to constantly understand that what we view as appropriate and genuine may not be viewed in the same way as the recipient. 


May God Bless you.....
   Rod
Luke 14:23

*******************************

The Universal Life Church is a comprehensive online seminary where we have various classes in Christianity, one on Wicca, along with several Pagan courses, more than a few courses about Metaphysics with more being added regularly.

Ordination with the Universal Life Church, is free, legal and lasts for life, so please take advantage of our Free Online Ordination.

The  ULC, run by Rev. Long, has created a chaplaincy program to help train our ministers. We also have a huge catalog of minister supplies.  I've been ordained with the Universal Life Church for many years and am proud to have started the Seminary.


Try our new free toolbar at: ULC Toolbar
 

No comments:

Post a Comment