Saturday, May 16, 2020

Chaplaincy studies lesson 15


Most of the men I work with are non-religious and are making their first pass to living a spiritual life. While I can see where a chaplain serving people  of a given faith would possibly be more effective with religious icons/symbols in a meeting space  religious symbols would be off-putting to most of the men I work with.

I have met with men in everything from conference rooms to living rooms and even garages. Whatever the space may be it is made sacred by inviting a Higher Power into the room through prayer. Quite often even this is a new experience for those I serve.



I have never led a service nor do I expect I will be called to do so. However I have led many spiritual meetings that begin and end with a non-denominational prayer. These meetings are made up of those with diverse faiths including agnostics who have yet to find a faith to rely upon. Our requirements are few and simple. In most cases we have a room with a podium and seating and there are cases in which we have neither. For example during the current pandemic we meet in a park. There are no walls, no podium and no seating unless people bring lawn chairs or blankets. Newer men and women find this informality inviting.


No comments:

Post a Comment