Saturday, May 16, 2020

Chaplaincy studies lesson 16


I have had two people who have been instrumental in shaping my spiritual world. One is a man who I still speak to today. Another was a woman who I have lost touch with (she would be very old by now).  Both played extremely important roles in my life and will never be forgotten. These two individuals saw me through difficult times in different ways. The man was the voice of experience. The woman was the voice of understanding. 


In my own ministry, as you have suggested, men move in and out of my life. I might know a man for a single visit, weeks, months or, if I am fortunate, years. One such man comes to mind as a friend for over twenty years now. Sometimes it seems like just yesterday he was at a turning point and came to me for help. We do not get to speak as often as we would like but when we do it is a joyous occasion.  I've watched his childhood grow to adulthood and start their own journeys.  It is a privilege to have been an instrument in his life. His wife, from Mexico, affectionately calls me his "padrino", the Spanish word for godfather (I think). 


I have always tried to keep my relationships with the men I work with on equal footing. That is neither of us is closer to God. I am just a servant who makes the introduction and gives counsel along the way. 


No comments:

Post a Comment