Monday, December 13, 2010

Chaplaincy

Lesson 3
I. Do a self evaluation of your present skills. Write a short summary of your strengths and weaknesses. Write a short plan of how you will seek to improve.

Faithful: Though I am unmarried I do have a girlfriend whom I have been dating for three and a half years. Never once have I betrayed her trust or given into the temptations of another woman. I keep my word and I stand by what I say.

Good Character: I have trouble controlling my emotions occasionally, and I am sometimes prone to arguing. These days if an argument becomes physical in any way I typically remove myself from the area and practice non violence (unless my life is threatened). I very rarely drink to excess. I usually stick to non alcoholic beer now, because I want to be sober so I can drive to fire calls.

Good Testimony: I cannot speak for others, but I generally hear that what I do is well received and that I do things for the right reasons. My girlfriend sees how I take care of my family when they need it and tells me when I do.

Sound in Doctrine: I went to Catholic school for all four years of my high school education. During those four years we studied the Holy Scriptures extensively. I am prepared to answer questions that come my way and if I don't know the answers I'm not afraid to do research for the person I'm ministering to.

Able to Teach: I am a professional guitar instructor so teaching comes with the territory.

Analysis and Plan of Action:
As of right now I need to work on my character. I attend therapy when needed for my anxiety disorder, which is the main cause of arguments, and take anti-anxiety medication in low doses at the onset of an anxiety attack.

II. Research your religion's [or denomination] qualifications for the chaplaincy. Write your results.

In the Christian faith (in some cases), I believe that classes in chaplaincy be taken and completed and the applicant must receive some level of ordination. In the fire service the role of chaplain is typically much less formal and is assumed by a faithful member of the crew wishing to minister to those (s)he serves with.

********************************************

To ordain yourself with the Universal Life Church, for free, for life, right now, click on the Free Online Ordination link.

Rev. Long created the ULC seminary site to help ministers learn and grow their ministries. The Seminary offers a huge catalog of materials for ministers of the Universal Life Church, as well as an online seminary program and a chaplaincy program.

No comments:

Post a Comment