Thursday, June 21, 2012

Master of Chaplaincy Studies Lesson 19


I admire the ideas included for this lesson. My toolbelt is somewhat more compact. My specific form of chaplaincy deals mostly with people who have BIG QUESTIONS about religion, faith, G-d and many other, sometimes seemingly trivial concerns. To suit the needs of my current chaplaincy, I do have a set of tools I will use frequently (daily).

A Bible - I have an old NKJV Bible that was donated by one of the nursing homes where I am a volunteer Chaplain. I use this to study and to teach, to share a word of advice and the Word of Truth. In addition to my own personal set of Scriptures, I maintain a rather large collection of Christian Scriptures in various formats and in various translation versions. This helps when studying to compare the sayings in one version with this of another and also enables me to give away a copy to someone who wants a copy but can't afford one for themselves. I find that giving someone a Bible and offering to study it with them can change a heart over time.

A notebook - I keep on hand at all times a legal pad for taking notes.  When I help someone or provide counseling, I will very often break out my pad and jot down the important details that they are willing to share with me concerning the particulars of their specific situation.  Knowing that I have the details written down allows me better assess how I might best serve their needs. I also try to keep two pens (black ink ball point) handy and on my person at all times when I am out of the office.

Business Cards - I got 250 printed online for the price of shipping only. They're really nice looking and it makes it easy to pass your info when your done and especially if you're in a rush. Gets the information into the hands of someone who may very much need to talk to you about their life and concerns.

A credit card/gift card - I don't carry cash for various reasons, but one of my all time favorite things is coffee, and I find it to be fitting for most occasions. I will frequently be asked a question and offer some "time with the Chaplain over a cup of coffee" to ease the discomfort and break the ice. With a card the beverage is only a swipe away! I also picked up a gift card at a couple of the convenient stores and coffee shops/internet cafes that I frequent.

Extras - After studying this lesson, I will have to invest in some
extras for my ministry. Some of these "extras" will include:
    Some of the new testaments from the seminary
    Some mints pocket tin mints
    Some kleenex tissues
    Hand sanitizer (Need a new one anyways)
    Read-The-Bible-In-A-Year Cards
    10-Commandment Cards
    "The Good News" tracts from a local bookstore
    Others as they become known to me

I know that this is not a paragraph, but it wouldn't fit that way.  Thank you for another wonderful lesson and I look forward with great pleasure to next week's lesson. God Bless you all!

    Sincerely,
    Chap.Dr.Rev.RonaldAaronNorris,D.D.,DRH,D.M.
    ULC Victoria


No comments:

Post a Comment