Thursday, June 7, 2012

Master of Chaplaincy Studies Lesson 17


ACCOUNTABILITY:
    1. To God
    2. To The Organization
    3. My Mentors
    4. To Others
    5. To Self
I have found in my following the calling to serve, that it opens up doors in my life, sometimes doors which I prefer not being opened, such as the doors to temptations. While I am not married at this time, I once was. I find that by placing myself in a position of services to others, while necessary in my ministry, will put me into contact with others which may be attractive to me. This can be very difficult as a chaplain and I have found ways to seek accountability on many levels. The first and most important level to which I am held accountable is to God. I know who I serve and who did the calling. I know what I'm there for... and what I'm not there for. While ministering, I do many things to keep focus on Christ and on the calling I have received.

I thank God for rules and regulations. In many environments where a chaplain will be called to serve, these will be firmly in place and heavily advertised. This truly protects all involved and make it just a little easier to stay focused on the goal.

My mentors help me to remain true to the cause by being honest with me. They know I will not ie to them about what's happening in my ministry, and I find this to be a wonderful tools of accountability.  It would not feel very nice to know that they were ashamed or disappointed in my words or actions or in-actions. This tends to keep me on the straight and narrow, especially knowing that many of my colleagues are local to me and see me on a very regular basis.

As most of my ministry takes place in the community and is generally not a one-on-one experience for the most part, I am able to be seen by many people  during most of the time. This reminds me to stay on track in a way that not much can compete with. Also, by keeping appointments and agreements with those I serve, fulfillment of trust becomes a measure of accountability which speaks very loudly either for or against me.

Finally, I hold myself personally accountable for what I do and say in my ministry. This is essential and I think common to the chaplaincy.  I must do and say what I know to be right. I have a strict personal guideline which prohibits lying, cheating, stealing and more. If I know that I've done something I shouldn't have or vice versa, I'm gonna feel terrible about that. In chaplaincy, words and actions, no matter how small or seemingly unimportant, have drastic affect on the ears and eyes and hearts of those they fall on. I keep this foremost on my mind.


CONCERNING MY MENTOR:
I have several mentors. The one I hold in highest regard as long-time friend and experienced mentor is retired chaplain Emory L. Johnson.  Emory is much more to me than a mentor, he is in fact a close friend of mine. I have called on him to help to me grow in understanding and building solid relationships, prayer and guidance in life and in ministry. I now call on him often and we discuss a variety of issues and topics as they come and he often shares stories concerning his time in the ministry and chaplaincy and how he dealt with particular issues, doubts, questions and much more. Emory has more involved in active ministry for more than 35 years and served as the chief chaplain for the Texas Department of Mental Health and Mental Retardation, serving state hospitals, prisons and elsewhere.

I have been so blessed by this relationship. Through his experience, Emory is able to understand things in ways that I am not yet capable.  He teaches me from Scripture and tells me stories for the purpose of discernment and knowledge. I'm sure that he is teaching by example. He encourages me to pray to God about the things I ask. He encourages me to become active in seeking opportunities to serve others in the community and to seek out volunteer positions. He has been a great blessing to me and my ministry.

I have many other mentors as well.


No comments:

Post a Comment