Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Master of Chaplaincy Studies Lesson 14


RESPONSE: LESSON 14 MASTER OF CHAPLAINCY STUDIES

In reviewing the information provided by this lesson, I have learned some things about marriage and holidays which was formerly unknown to me. I have not performed my first marriage ceremony (although I have offered) but I'm sure that one day I may well be led to do so. Also I have not yet held any of the listed ceremonies for holidays, holy days or special days. I will contact the activities director for the nursing home I volunteer with to see if she can provide some useful details and information on this and other topics.

Although I have not performed any of these, it has been on mind at times and I found it appropriate to consider how these might be handled should I be asked. Here's what I have come up with in my journals.

As pertains to my policies involving marriage: While I do proclaim to be Christian in some since, although not the common sense, yet more of a historic/original sense, I do not wish to separate or categorize people by labeling them as being of a particular religious background or of having certain beliefs and ideals. What I do promote is religious freedom and unbound love toward all things under heaven and on earth and beneath the earth. This being said, I do not find it necessary , nor appropriate (for myself) in my line of duty, to decide whether or not a marriage is right with God. This is not my calling, but God's alone. I will marry any who come to me, assuming that they are able to provide sound reasoning for my so doing and of course that they are of the legally accepted age. This means everyone, not regarding sex, sexual preference, religious ideals, belief or affiliations, or historic findings, so long as there is no law against it and so long as these do not go against my ethics. I would certainly feel obligated to ensure the safety of all parties involved as well as the strength and commitment required for the longevity of the union. While I cannot guarantee any form of success or longevity in their union, I can provide a means by which I might they might investigate these things for themselves, and by which I might be more able to help them to ensure the soundness of this life-long decision. I would certainly want to provide some form of pre-marital counseling to the couple to make sure that their relationship, at least in the present tense, is one built upon attribute which are becoming of this commitment. I want to ensure that both parties understand what marriage means and what it doesn't mean.  I also want to make sure that there are no serious issues which might interfere with this union's purpose. While I haven't yet determined any definite ideas on this per say, I will search for some outlines on the topics which may be pertinent to this issue.

If all is well with the couple and they both are of sound minds, and they are both complete, aware and willing to step into this lifelong commitment to and with one another, then and only then would I marry the couple.

As pertains to celebrations:
Again, I do not fully know what this might entail but by my estimation and from my gleanings gained by involvement in many celebrations throughout my life, I can assume the following might be appropriate:

1) Show up before the event to mingle
2) Open with a prayer
3) Provide any services requested, including readings, dedications and others
4) stick around and be a part of the community
5) talk to people during the event if allowed.
6) close with a prayer
7) stick around a while to talk to the people

I hope to gain a better understanding of these as I progress both in education and in experience. Thank you for everything you do.


No comments:

Post a Comment