Friday, May 18, 2012

Master of ULC Chaplaincy Studies Lesson 7


   I know a local volunteer chaplain who works at one of the city's three hospitals. On his "off-time" he also serves a high school in the area as a part-time spiritual counselor. He tells me that the work varies as much as the people he talks to on a daily basis. At both facilities, he says, his work is determined by whatever is happening right at that moment for someone.

    About 9 weeks ago I started volunteer chaplaincy work at a nursing home across the street from where I live. I don't volunteer full-time, only weekends for now, but it is a wonderfully feeling to talk with the residents and get to know them. Sometimes they just need someone to listen, other times they are wanting to pray with someone. Most of the time, you can just "feel" the relief of the people knowing that I am in the rooms with them.

    I have also looked into volunteering for a nearby funeral home, which would help me to gain experience and possibly some CPE to grow on. I'll keep you posted as to any progress.

Rev. Norris
Universal Life Church

No comments:

Post a Comment