Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Chaplaincy Studies Chapter 5 from the Universal Life Church


    I know several hospital chaplains, but one of my very closest
friends and mentors is retired Chaplain Emory Johnson. I first met him
in Waco, Texas where he not only served as the resident Chaplain for
Waco Center for Youth, but was also appointed at that time as the
Chief Chaplain of all 22 State Hospitals and State Schools under the
control of the Texas Department of Mental Health and Mental
Retardation.
    He was always there when I needed him or wanted someone to talk
to. We would always be reading the bible and he would hold weekly
services for the youth at my cottage. He always seemed thrilled to be
right there, right then and he was is is a very powerful influence on
everyone around him.
    We kept contact after Waco. He eventually retired after 25 years
in the chaplaincy and went back home. Time conflicts on both sides
have made it very difficult to achieve an interview, but I can
certainly tell you about some of the things I do know.
    Hospital chaplains MUST maintain a certain level of sensitivity and
gentleness, and they've got to ready for just about anything. Like
other chaplains, the hospital chaplain will confront and be greeted by
people of all walks of life. Generally, many of these are suffering or
hurting in some way or another. The chaplain must be ready at all
times to consult and comfort these wonderful people.
    At times, especially depending on the type of environment you are
in, the hospital chaplain may face danger and risk, Sometimes on a
frequent basis. The chaplain must be well trained to deal with all
forms of attack and confusion as best possible. Hospital chaplains are
definitely different types of people. They seem to always smile at you,
even when you really don't "deserve" it.
    Emory says that the requirements are similar to prison and
military chaplaincy, involving a couple of degrees in religion and
education as well as some time in and field time.
    I cannot describe the feelings that are in me concerning the
amazement I experience with each and every day and night. What a
wonderfully miraculous thing this all is. I am so very pleased that I
followed my call to serve.

    Thank you Rev. Amy Long for everything.



    Sincerely,
        Dr. Aaron Norris
        ulccf@minister.com
        operator1designs@gmail.com


No comments:

Post a Comment