Friday, May 25, 2012

Master of Chaplaincy Studies Lesson 12


I typically handle my ministry in this way:

1. Usually I am contacted by the person who seeks counsel. Depending on their particular problem or circumstances, we either meet then or I
will schedule a time to meet with them. I like to meet in quiet but public areas as I find it is often more comfortable for the person. Other times, specifically when the person is the same sex as myself, I like to meet in a local hospital's chapel, as this area is very peaceful and quiet and private.

2. At this first meeting I generally like to listen to the person and let them tell me about what is going on in their life. When you open the conversation in this way, one of two things will happen. The person may open up and tell you all about it. They have often been holding so much inside themselves, not feeling free to share it or comfortable releasing this information from within. They have sometimes been waiting so long and will feel at peace sharing with you
what has been bothering them. I encourage this if possible. The second thing that I see happening at this point is that the person may not know how to let it out, in which case it may require further promptings and leading on my part to get them to tell me something.

3. Often the problem(s) cannot be solved all at once. It generally takes time to make changes or for the situation to improve. This is where I will set of another session in which I will try to get more specific information and together we can try to discover the root of the issues at hand. Once the root has been exploited, we can move forward toward ways to cope with and perhaps even change certain attitudes, behaviours or circumstances.

4. After reading this study, I would really like to add some things to my sessions with people. Two things I will consider integrating into the counseling are:

A. Create some forms for use in the first visit. These could be on the computer and could also be printed for use elsewhere. I would like to try collect some information from the person which might enable me to serve them better.

B. Create a few templates to help my counselee. I would like to create some goal setting sheets and journal sheets which would enable the person to set a plan in action and follow through by taking small steps to reach their objectives. I would also like to integrate the journal sheet in order to provide the person a way of documenting progress, as well as their thoughts and feelings and any challenges that they see in carrying out the plan we have created for them.

C. I have considered requesting some printed materials containing all of the known and active resources within the community. This would enable to refer people to various resources as the need should arise.

Rev. Aaron

No comments:

Post a Comment