Friday, May 25, 2012

Master of Chaplaincy Studies Lesson 11


Last month, I counseled a woman of around forty years. She came to me in great despair and it was clearly that she was hurting and mourning
over some serious loss. During our visit, she discussed with me that she has lost her children to the State in a custody battle several years ago and she had no idea how she would move on and cope with this great loss. I tried to be understanding and empathetic to her situation. I helped her to try focusing on the  positive things in the present tense rather than negatives from the past. She told me that this was very difficult and that she didn't believe that it was possible to move forward after having lost her children. She does not have any contact with her children at all, making it a very difficult situation for her to accept. I gave her some resources in the community where she might receive counseling and that might be more helpful in these particular situations.

I learned that the past can be very difficult to let go of and that sometimes it is extremely difficult to help people in these ways. I will endeavor to become more knowledgeable and practiced in this type of counseling.  For now, I know that  I can certainly be there as a friend and fellow human. I thank God for the people who He places in my life and know that in all of these there is a lesson for me to learn and a way for me to grow closer to Him.

Rev. Aaron
Chaplaincy Studies


No comments:

Post a Comment