Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Master of Chaplaincy Studies Lesson 8


As stated in my response to a previous lesson, I started offering volunteer chaplain services at a local nursing home some weeks back. This have proven to be very exciting and has opened my eyes to what it is really involved in being a chaplain. Even in this volunteer position, there are many expectations on many different levels within the organization. In this particular environment, which is a quite large nursing and rehabilitation facility, there exist three primary groups of people to which I am exposed in my line of duty. Within each of these is a completely different and individual set of rules, expectations and ways of looking at my position.

THE RESIDENTS
The residents are generally very happy to see anybody from outside the facility. Most of the time, they don't come up to outsiders, although some do. Many times, there are a few who participate in the activities, while others do not. When I visit the facility (on weekends) I generally spend the first half hour or so walking around the center and seeing if anyone wants to talk, pray or read with me. I usually get a couple of the residents to talk and I always try to encourage prayer, but not forcefully. One of the first things I do when I arrive is check in with the front desk to see if anyone requested a visit from the chaplain. If they did, I try to do this right after my walkabout. Doing so allows me to see the residents who may not have been able to ask for a visit or didn't know how to ask. When I see those who requested counseling, it builds trust in showing the resident, as well as the staff, that I'm going to follow through and be there when someone needs to see me.

THE STAFF
The staff, at this point, seem fairly indifferent toward me and my position. I get the attitude of some level competition, as though the nurses aides and support staff feel a little threatened by my position. I don't thinks it's intentional, just something that they feel maybe. The staff are also very protective of the residents. They want to make sure that the residents are going to safe around me. They don't trust me all that much, even with a good foundation built by the previous chaplains. It will take time and involvement. I try to talk to staff as well. Sometimes they'll ask questions like "How long have you been a chaplain?," "What schools did you go to?," and others. I try to answer honestly and with as much detail as I can. This helps them to know more about me and my experience and builds trust in various ways.

THE ADMINISTRATION
This group is a lot different that the others due to the nature of their positions in the organization. The administration is responsible for the care, health and well-being of the staff, the residents and all who enter the center, and that means me, too. With all that responsibility, it's very important to stick to protocol and keep your guards up to some degree. This also means that it will take a longer period of time to gain their trust. They have already gotten their initial impression from our first contact, but they will build on this based on the reports of the resident, visitors and staff. Their trust must be gained by protecting the resident safety and privacy while in the position of chaplain and by demonstrating through my work that Ican be trusted to comply with organizational policies and be reliable for the job.

The trust that will result from being consistent, reliable, and honest is a bond which must be built over time. As these relationships are being developed, it is sometimes important to keep something in mind. In many instances, there will some who have gone before you, and there will almost certainly be others who follow your steps later down the line. My reputation (the position) as chaplain was designed in the mind of these people before I ever walked through the door. People tend to see some of "what was" in what now is. When I started volunteering at the nursing home, the residents, staff and administration had been exposed to chaplains in the past. Fortunately, the individuals who held the position before did the right things and the people involved were comfortable and trusted him or her. The things I do, the things I say and the way that I handle this position, will potentially strengthen or damage the foundation upon which the next chaplain will be required to stand. This is where it become essential to be honest and reliable in all your life's work.

The Texas Family Code states that evidence in a proceeding will not be excluded on the grounds of "privileged communication" in a child abuse case. Knowing failure to report child abuse is a Class B misdemeanor in Texas. ALL persons "having cause to believe" that a child is being abused or neglected are required to report the possible abuse to the Texas Department of Human Services. In 1983, Texas adopted rules of evidence which include Rule 505. Rule 505 provides that a person has a privilege to refuse to disclose and prevent another from disclosing any confidential communication by the person to the clergyman in his professional character as spiritual adviser. Consequently, it is not necessary that the communication be penitential in character to qualify for protection. Marital counseling and advice regarding other matters of a spiritual or moral concern are therefore covered by the privilege. Article 5561h permits disclosure "to medical or law enforcement personnel where the professional determines that there is a probability of imminent physical injury by the patient/client to himself or to others, or where there is a probability of immediate mental or emotional injury to the patient/client." The Texas Rules of Criminal Evidence became effective September 1, 1986, and it appears that the priest-penitent privilege will not be recognized in situations of child abuse or neglect. According to the Texas Family Code, Section 34.04, no privileges apply in a proceeding regarding child abuse or neglect. Since it is a crime to fail to report evidence of child abuse and neglect (see Texas Family Code Section 34.07), it is possible that a clergyman could be forced to reveal confidential communications in those situations involving children being abused or neglected by adults.

A couple of months ago, just after having left my office for the day, I met a young man of 17 years of age, who stopped me and called on me while walking on a nearby sidewalk heading to my home. I generally don't stop, especially in the late evening hours after sunset, but I had a stirring inside to help this man. I stop and we walked and talked. After a few minutes we arrive at my home and I invited him inside, where we spoke for about three hours about his childhood and spiritual needs, and drank many cups of coffee. He spoke of his mother who had recently developed a life-threatening illness. He said that he "had to become a Christian" in order to make her happy. He also shared with me that he did not personally know Jesus or even believe in Him, as he had spent his whole life praying and did not feel as though his prayers had been answered at all. I helped him understand that it was so much that he needed to find Jesus, but that he needed to find himself. He cried and we spoke more, and he cried more. He shared many of the things that had hurt him along his path and we discussed some of the things he could do to begin to see some changes in these areas. He told me that he would probably be in jail the next day because he has violated his probation rules. I gave my number and invited him to call or write if he needed anything. I haven't heard from him since, but that night, I felt that he just needed somebody to listen to him, and that's exactly what I offered. I think tonight, I will set aside some extra time to pray for him, Won't you all do the same?


No comments:

Post a Comment