Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Chaplaincy Course Lesson 2 - Trent Murman

Master of Chaplaincy ~ Lesson 2 ~ Essay
The person ~ The mark of the Divine
By Trent Murman   
 
Describe someone you know who has the Divine Mark.  What set them apart?  
My sister has been an ordained minister with the Presbyterian Church for over 25 years.  She has always been very tolerant and understanding that I can remember.  Over the last 10 years she has taken sole charge over our parents medical and social life, doing the day-to-day shopping of groceries and personal needs of both especially in their last days of life.  I believe our parents were Agnostic.  In fact they conveyed to both of us that they really didn't believe there wasn't anything to look forward to after their demise.  We both tried to impress on them there is something and He was waiting for them.  Our father was still noncommittal to his final moment.  However, our mother during her final moments in Hospice did question "why the angels did not have their instruments with them", she then laid back closed her eyes and went off to sleep.  I think my sister showed and still shows to this day signs of a great empathizer and tolerance with people she comes into contact with daily.  This, I believe, is the deciding factor that sets her apart from the other people one might come in contact with.   The greatest gift being "listen to your sheep and tolerance".
 
Has anyone observed the mark in you? Write down what they have said?  
I have only recently been given the opportunity to really think about my own mark.  I have not really discussed it with many people, but my wife does say she has seen a bit of a change in my day-to-day attitude.
 
Consider your calling. Describe it in a paragraph or two.
I believe I received the calling just recently.  However, for the past 30 years I started out a combat medic in the USN/USMC.  After doing that for 7 years I was in private practice as a Surgical Physician's Assistant for the following 30 years.  Now that I look back on my journey it is possible my calling happened back when I was 19 years old, being a medic you have to be compassionate, able to listen, direct your patients and be there for them in their times of both sorry and happiness.  Remembering some just want to talk and someone to listen to them.  Now that I look back on my journey I do feel having the ability to "listen" is the greatest asset in this new chapter in my journey.
 
End.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment