Friday, August 10, 2012

Chaplaincy Lesson #1 by Trent Murman

Role of Chaplains ~ Lesson 1
Submitted by:  Trent Murman
 
Many years ago when I was attached to the US Navy as a Medic some of my duties were to also take care of our fine men of the USMC (which sooner or later all Navy Corpsman are assigned).  For those of you who are not quite understanding that …it is simple….the Marines are part of the Navy however, they have their own commanders, generals etc….as does the Navy have their own commanders, admirals etc.  Since the Marine Corps does not have a Medical Division, the Navy Medical Corps takes care of our fine men and women in the USMC.
 
Much of the time in the USN/USMC the Corpsman is alone in the battlefield or on board ship and is required to act as the service men/women chaplain in a very limited capacity when regular clergy are not available…sometimes just a listening ear suffices for the military man or woman to vent or for them to have as compassionate shoulder to rely on. 
 
My first experience with Navy Chaplains was in 1972.  Having just completed boot camp and was headed out to sea the Chaplain blessed our mission and presented us all with St. Christopher chain medallions for safe passage and a safe return home.  As a youngster of 19 years I was a bit confused by this gesture and I did have the pleasure of having a short conversation with the Chaplain and he explained more to my satisfaction what exactly his role was with the Navy and that I would be their Chaplain, Priest, Minister, Rabi, Mom or Dad…..being the only medical person on board they would be looking up to me for this "sounding board". 
 
My first personal experience with a Navy Chaplain was in 1977, I was stationed with the 1st Fleet Service Support Group, Marine Corps Base, Camp Pendleton, CA….I was assigned with a Marine unit that was shipping out for Okinawa, Japan…we were doing pre-departure maneuvers out in the field when my wife went into labor, she was back with her parents and I was on my way overseas, unfortunately we lost the baby and the Battalion Chaplain found me in the field, gave me the news and simply asked if there was anything he could do for me….I said if you can please get my orders changed to stay state side with my wife as a hardship…..he found me 2 hours later and said…it's taken care of.  He listened to me and within his powers this Priest did his best to help both me and my wife deal with this situation.
 
I have the utmost respect for the Marine Corps, Navy and the Chaplains assigned to serve and help all of our military personnel and their families in time of happiness and sorrow.  Now I do understand the role of the Chaplain and I definitely feel there is role, ever growing as it may be, for Chaplains in the Military Community. 
 
End.

No comments:

Post a Comment