Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Chaplain lesson 9

Active listening

Active listening has been a skill that I have used for many years. In my present occupation, Paramedic and a Supervisor, I have used active listening to both treat patients and helping my charges. I am also retired military and was a NCO for most of the time so you have to use active listening to understand your Soldiers and their needs.
I currently deal with a wide range of problems daily from dealing with employees to personal problems, patients with psychological problems, or telling patients love ones there is nothing I can do. When I was new I would be in the habit of trying to oldest advice in many cases, and of course a lot of times this had disastrous results.
I later learned that a lot of of the situations just required me to listen. This seems in a lot of cases to be the only thing needed to help the person to feel better. I am a firm believer now that active listening is a very important skill to have when you deal with people in a time of need.

Rick Robbins
Sent from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment