Sunday, August 14, 2011

Chaplaincy Studies

Chaplaincy Course #19
I liked this lesson. Simple specific ideas most of which I already do and some newer ideas all helpful in "being prepared".

I use business cards and a manual PDA, which has a calendar and place for notes and a small clock.

i am always mindful of my mouth and breath hygiene as a regular life practice. the change/cash was a good reminder as I minister more and more to a wider group of people in need.
tissues are always with me and handkerchiefs are a good idea. I have a cell phone with me at all times and put it on mute to not disturb certain situations. i used to be obsessive with time and get to places too early. Now I am more relaxed and find I am always on time appropriately in a more relaxed manner. 

In terms of myself more personally, I love people and find it natural to smile and generally ease people into a place of trust. Eye contact is vital and again natural for me and I have seen time and again how important it is in helping people to relax especially in instinctively knowing when to be easy and not stare at the person. In the Navajo tradition you do not look directly at a person you look to teh side especially if you are addressing an elder it is a sign of disrespect to look them right in the eyes. Sometimes this make sit easier to listen even deeper to the person you are ministering to. 

I usually carry portable ceremonial items always in my car.

As I begin to do this work more full time in a hospice setting I will add more to my tool box such as scriptures and cards and music.

As always I am thnkful for the suggestions in this lesson and look forward to carrying them out into my Ministry.

       Reverand Pamela Bagot-beasley

*******************************

Ordination with the Universal Life Church, is free, legal and lasts for life, so please take advantage of our Free Online Ordination.

The  ULC, run by Rev. Long, has created a chaplaincy program to help train our ministers. We also have a huge catalog of minister supplies.  I've been ordained with the Universal Life Church for many years and am proud to have started the Seminary.


Try our new free toolbar at: ULC Toolbar
 

No comments:

Post a Comment