Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Chaplaincy Studies

Lesson 15 ~ Chaplaincy Studies ~ Worship Matters ~ Essay

By:  Rev. Trent Murman, OSM, OSF
 

Using simplicity, describe how you would develop a "sacred space" in a small or medium space and how it would be led?  If I were a military chaplain I would create a "sacred space" inside a small to medium military tent on the front lines of the battlefield and in times of peace or truce I would invite the neighboring clergy of minority sects to provide their religious ceremonies to their followers.  I feel this would be more respectful to them and their followers than me attempting to provide them with a botched ceremony.  I believe this would gather more respect for me from these soldiers male/female by them seeing me go the extra effort to provide them with a proper ceremony of their own.  Even on foreign lands, these clergy could be invited to enter the camps to perform these sacred ceremonies.  I believe even in foreign lands the religious persons are usually not also involved with the combatant entities of war and being religious people they would be very willing to provide these ceremonies for those of their own faiths.  An altar would be constructed by using a foot locker with a simple sheet or blanket over it with a cross on top.  It is very easy to construct an altar which is normally used in every form of religious ceremonies.  Simple chairs or wooden benches could be used as the pews.  Bread, water or juices could be substituted, once consecrated, for the sacraments.  On the battlefield the clergy may only have his visitation stole to use for the ceremony, this is however, acceptable because full priests or clergy dress. 

Develop a marriage policy as a chaplain. As a chaplain, one does not usually have a set following or congregation, so my policy would be to:  meet with the prospective bride and groom at least 2 to 3 times prior to officiating the ceremony.  However, in my state premarital counseling is not required.  Chaplaincy, I feel is an exception to this.  My goal regarding meeting with them would be to see their position or views on the sanctity of marriage and to be sure this is what each of them wanted.  It would also be advisable to meet maybe once with each of the parties individually to get their views and thoughts, so there is no pressure on either partner for the marriage.  Once I have been satisfied in my own mind then I would either proceed with the ceremony or simply state to them that I did not feel I was the one to marry them.  This policy was also discussed in Lesson 14 and my thoughts regarding the marriage policy and the chaplain has not changed.

Go In Peace

No comments:

Post a Comment