Friday, March 18, 2011

Become A Chaplain



As I started reading the units it was nice to see the history of Chaplains and where they are still seen around the world.  I know I have had to do some of my duties in the hospitals near our house and with family members of friends and family in very different places.  Chaplains are very worldly and work in some very unique places.  I thought the history and introductory lessons would be a bit dry but turned out to be very interesting and rekindled some old thoughts and memories of Ministers, Priests and Chaplains I have known and where I saw their work.  Some did specialize in various areas and others tended to move around a lot. 
It is great, but unfortunate at the same time to see the need so wide spread for our services, with all the troubles in the schools and around the world with our service men and women.  I know after I receive my Chaplaincy title I will be helping out where needed.  Chaplains are Religious servants with the need to be familiar with all religious texts to a point where I can help no matter where I may be, though it may not b e a fluent knowledge, it should be to a point I can help.  The qualifications are very well explained and I have been using most of them in my daily life for several years with my work.  Being a good Listener and observer are two very major key issues and without them you could be in trouble.  You may think you heard a need for help with something you observed and jump in to help too soon, only to be embarrassed.  You need to have a keen sense of listening and observing to insure you are getting the feeling of you services being needed.  Do not presume you are needed.  I am in very high agreement of the points made about all the other qualifications of; being Faithful or Trustworthy, without this you are not setting a good example and the basis of having Good Character, Testimony and a Sound Doctrine system. I feel the ability to teach is very important and will always be utilized as a Chaplain flows through their community or area of service.  You may not always be training in just Religious matters either.  Be ready to fill several shoes. 
I think one of the joys of being a “Chaplain” is the fact your Chapel is where ever you are basically.  I know I have had to use my Ministerial duties, as I stated before in many places.  I truly love this and do not like being tied down too much.  In my community I see the need for assistance in almost every area discussed.  I have worked for non-profit organizations for many years and am going to be continuing my service needs there when I get my courses finished up and graduate.  I have already offered to help out with my Grand Son’s Scout troop and School during functions.
As I continued to read the remaining chapters in the lesson I made copies and keep them in a book to use as reference, as I think we all need.   There is a whoop load of information and very well put together to where anyone could use it to benefit their studies.  It really gives a person of the importance and sight of how large of a job a Chaplain is.   I can go back to the pages I have marked for quick reference and refresh myself occasionally while enjoying quiet evenings with my wife.  I have been prepared and am continuing to prepare myself with the finishing of this course and the starting of the rest to start yet another journey of my calling into the Chaplaincy.  I felt everything was very well written, enjoyable, and usable and will keep the information for a long period to come.  I would like to thank everyone who was involved in this great program for letting us indulge in it.  I learned a lot and was reminded and had a pleasant rekindling of information.  I would recommend it too all those who are journeying into any part of Christianity as a teacher, follower, listening or just to have this great source of knowledge. 
Thank You Pastor Dan, Amy and all those involved.  Great and enjoyable course. 

Rev. Chuck Callahan  



*******************************

The Universal Life Church is a comprehensive online seminary where we have various classes in Christianity, one on Wicca, along with several Pagan courses, more than a few courses about Metaphysics with more being added regularly.

Ordination with the Universal Life Church, is free, legal and lasts for life, so please take advantage of our Free Online Ordination.

The  ULC, run by Rev. Long, has created a chaplaincy program to help train our ministers. We also have a huge catalog of minister supplies.  I've been ordained with the Universal Life Church for many years and am proud to have started the Seminary.


Try our new free toolbar at: ULC Toolbar
 

No comments:

Post a Comment