Saturday, May 5, 2018

Lesson 11

Ministering to the Grieving

By: David L. Brown            

            I've had very little experience in this aspect of the Chaplaincy. In my distant past I would even avoid grieving people to avoid the pain and distress that comes with the experience. As I matured in Christ and continued to read through the Bible multiple times, I realized the need to be present for the grieving and provide comfort to those in distress due to loss.

            I remember one occasion that a co-worker lost her brother to suicide. She was extremely distressed, because she thought for sure that he was not able to go to heaven because he took his own life. She was not a Catholic, but a Christian, so I asked her why she believed he was not in heaven. She replied, "well that's what they say in the movies, if you kill yourself, it's considered a mortal sin, so you can't go to heaven." She obviously hadn't read the Bible but was relying on Hollywood and the media to guide her.

            I asked her if he had ever accepted Christ as his Savior. She said, "yes." Then I asked what denomination of church he attended, and she said, "Baptist." So, I reassured her that Baptist doctrine and the Bible clearly state that you cannot lose your salvation, that when you accept the free gift of grace, you are sealed as a child of God and joint heir with Christ in heaven. Her brothers sin was forgiven on the cross when Jesus said, "it is finished:" John 19:30

 "The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God: And if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ; if so be that we suffer with him, that we may be also glorified together." Romans 8:16-17

            I reassured her that since he accepted Christ and was a born-again believer that her brother was definitely in heaven. After that, you could see joy return to her face. She still had grieving to do, but it was grieving with hope, instead of grieving in despair.


No comments:

Post a Comment