Wednesday, May 2, 2018

Lesson 10 Answer

The Healing Touch

            I've never been comfortable touching people I don't know. I believe in shaking hands, but that's about it. I have in the past tentatively hugged friends at church, but I quickly grew uncomfortable with it. Hugging is just to intimate and should be relegated to family, extended family and trusted friends.

            My plan, as a Chaplain, would be to always ask permission before I touched anyone. Even if I ask to pray for the person, because, depending on the circumstances, the person may actually recoil from you if you reach for their hand. So, I will always ask first. The same thing applies for putting my hand on a person's shoulder, arm or head, which is the only other appropriate places to touch someone that you are trying to comfort. In todays sinful world with its plague of political correctness and sexual divergence from the Biblical ideal, no other touching seems appropriate to me.

            Those that are amiable to a healing touch will only be touched on the hand, arm or shoulder by me. I may also, with permission, lay my hand on their head. The hand will always be my first choice, unless it has an IV catheter in it or some other device attached (like a pulse oximeter, etc.). The healing touch is very important, but it should always be applied appropriately and in keeping with the person's religious beliefs (for instance, a man must not touch an Islamic woman, especially if he is a Christian or Jew).


No comments:

Post a Comment