Sunday, May 20, 2018

lesson 8

steps to Building trust,


1. Be honest with yourself and others

2. Be the first to trust

3. Show compassion and empathy

4. Use good Communication skills

5. Be dependable

6. be flexible

7. Be consistent

8. Be open

9. Show tolerance

10. Be patient



Reporting of crimes

Note from me: it has been difficult for me to find online the letter of the law in reporting criminal activity by clergy in layman's terms. I have done my best to decipher the legal babel. Sorry if i have failed in its interpretation.


It is to my understanding that the clergy is a mandated reporter on issues of child welfare and health, from there it gets tricky. the department of child welfare has on their website a list of who is by law a mandated reporter and the clergy are on that list with no exceptions. When looking at the actual law it seems that if the information of a child's welfare or health is in danger was obtained in confidentiality as a clergy then michigan grants clergy/penitent privilege. From what little i have found on other crimes or suicide again it's tricky. It seems clergy/penitent privilege can and has prevailed in cases but technichly if it is not written in law saying so the state doesn't stand by one single side it states it will not grant nor protect the privilege.       



As for deeds of compassion in my ministry, i do not belong to one. I personally have had no situation in the last 2 years that i can think of that needed my compassion. I or rather the people around me have been blessed. :)

                                                                             J.P. Welch
                                                                                                

No comments:

Post a Comment