Saturday, May 26, 2018

Lesson 15

Chaplaincy and Creating a Sacred Space

            As a Christian my sacred space could be very simple. All that would be needed in a small to medium space is a portable sacred desk or pulpit, my cell phone or tablet and a Bluetooth speaker. A small Christian flag could be hung from the pulpit. Just remember that from the congregation looking toward the pulpit, the cross is always on the left when the flag is vertical or horizontal.

Pulpit

            The pulpit would serve as a place to put my sermon notes, my Bible and or a tablet with the Bible and my notes stored within it. The tablet or smart phone could also store music for the worship service. A small Bluetooth speaker could be sat at the base of the pulpit to amplify the music for small or medium size spaces. Depending on the size of the Christian flag you choose, it could be hung vertically or horizontally from the pulpit.

Music

            As attendees arrived I would have modern Christian music playing. I would shut the music off for the opening prayer, then lead a traditional, well known hymn with music as a congregational hymn. I would have simple folders with numbered sheet music that would be passed out by volunteers before leading one or two congregational hymns. A modern or traditional worship song could be played softly for the alter call.

Attire

            I would be dressed in a traditional suite and tie, or at least a shirt with a religious patterned tie, or shirt with embroidered religious symbol depending on the expected dress of my congregation. The shirt could just say Chaplain.

No additional things would be necessary, because the focus of the meeting should be worship and developing a better understanding of what God wants us to know from scripture. Baptism could be arranged for a later date, as needed.


No comments:

Post a Comment